Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bittersweet

Yesterday turned out to be a bittersweet day. You know how I was so happy with the parcel? Well something bad happened because of it's delivery.

Lulu, our little 2yo Brussels Griffon bitch, got out without my noticing and was hit by a car. The driver didn't stop but others did and a vet happened by and also stopped and took her to a vet hospital. Luckily she was microchipped because Roy had picked yesterday of all days to leave his phone at home (that's whose number was on her tag). So they eventually reached me and broke the news.

I feel like shit! I thought I had heard her yelp but assumed it was our other dog stepping on her or something, this happens quite a bit, Missy is a very old blind greyhound and Lulu gets under her feet. And then I thought they were just hanging out in the back yard.

Anyway, when we visited her last night she was panting with pain and shock. She'd had pain relief but not too much. The vet couldn't tell us the extent of her injuries because she was still in shock (no outward bleeding or anything) and wanted her to stabilise before doing x-rays etc. So we spent last night worrying and praying. Lulu is a PITA sometimes, but in a good way. She loves to be involved in everything and was just starting to interact with Matilda so the thought of losing her made me sick.

She pulled through. And the most amazing thing?? There are NO broken bones or spinal injuries whatsoever!!! The vet thinks it's just a lot of tissue bruising etc. Another day in the hospital for observations and home to cage rest. I think we'll get one big enough for Missy to get in too, she doesn't move much anyway and Lulu will get a lot of comfort from Missy. She licks her incessantly as a pacifier type action I think.

I'm amazed and so is the vet, and we are so very very lucky this time. Roy's last dog (also a Griffon) was hit by a car at his old house and didn't survive. Griffons are toy dogs so it's amazing that little monkey went up against a ton of metal and made it.

We are so thankful...

No comments:

 
Dear Diary Blogger Template